The correspondence and memos in this series are comprised mainly of materials to and from Goldfinger, with responses frequently attached to the incoming letters. In addition to routine matters, such as information requests and personnel matters, the subjects of these letters reflect Goldfinger's areas of research expertise: automation, unemployment, monetary policy, right-to-work laws, productivity, inflation, East-West trade, and the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). The materials consists of correspondence, memos, telegrams, newspaper clippings, reports, newsletters, and programs.
This series covers the period when he worked for the CIO Department of Education and Research (1950-1955) and for the first decade of his employment with the AFL-CIO Department of Research (1956-1966). Included here are letters written by Goldfinger's staff, those referred to other departments, and those he wrote for Stanley Ruttenberg (identified by the initials "NG" at their conclusion). The correspondents are mainly staff members and elected officials of the CIO and AFL-CIO, research directors of affiliated unions, employees of the U.S. Departments of Labor and Commerce, and newspaper editors. Correspondents are Sol Barkin, George Meany, William Schnitzler, Walter Reuther, Victor Reuther, Stanley Ruttenberg, and Nat Weinberg. Goldfinger also corresponded with the economist Robert Lekachman and with Daniel Patrick Moynihan.
- Goldfinger, Nathaniel (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public and must be used in the Special Collections reading room. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
7.13 Linear Feet
This series is broken into three sections covering the years 1951-1962, 1963-1964, and 1965-1966. Within each section arrangement is alphabetical by last name of correspondent, then chronological.
- Barkin, Solomon, 1907-2000 (Correspondent)
- Lekachman, Robert, 1920-1989 (Correspondent)
- Meany, George (Correspondent)
- Moynihan, Daniel Patrick, 1927-2003 (Correspondent)
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- Reuther, Victor G., 1912-2004
- Reuther, Walter Phillip, 1907-1970 (Correspondent)
- Ruttenberg, Stanley H., 1917- (Correspondent)
- Schnitzler, William F. (Correspondent)
- Weinburg, Nathaniel (Nat), 1914- (Correspondent)