Walter F. Mulligan (1879-1963) was an electrician with the Government Printing Office and the first vice president of Local 121 of the Federal Electrical Workers Union. A devoted civic worker for 40 years, Mulligan's positions included those of president of the Prince George's County Chamber of Commerce, member of the College Park Town Council, and vice president of the Maryland Council for Education. Documents in the collection relate to citizens' associations, aging, civic responsibilities, local government, natural gas storage, health and welfare, home rule, zoning, transportation, and sanitation.
This collection is open to the public and must be used in the Special Collections reading room. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Photocopies or digital surrogates may be provided in accordance with Special Collections and University Archives duplication policy.
Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs unless otherwise specified. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure permission to publish materials from the appropriate copyright holder.
Archival materials may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws or other regulations. While we make a good faith effort to identify and remove such materials, some may be missed during our processing. If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
7.00 Linear Feet
The Walter Mulligan papers date from 1942-1963 and document Mulligan's participation in civic improvement and related subjects, including the Prince George’s County Civil Federation, civic responsibility, local government, natural gas storage, health and welfare, home rule, zoning, transportation, and sanitatio, and the College Park Town Council. Materials include newspaper clippings, reports, and correspondence.
The Walter Mulligan papers are organized into three series.
This collection was donated to University of Maryland Libraries by Mrs. Mulligan in 1964.