Architect Henry Powell Hopkins (1891-1984) designed many buildings on the University of Maryland at College Park campus, and he also designed and remodeled a number of significant structures throughout the state of Maryland. Materials such as photographs, drawings, and clippings document Hopkin's architectural works and interests. The collection also includes representations, such as drawings and blueprints, of private residences, educational and medical facilities, and government, business, and religious buildings designed by Hopkins.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
4.5 Linear Feet
The Henry Powell Hopkins papers consist of photographs, negatives, correspondence, newspaper and magazine clippings, and drawings dating from 1886 to 1959; the collection also includes some undated material. The photographic materials cover major buildings Hopkins designed, while the drawings depict his interests during his years at Columbia and his year abroad in Europe. The drawings from architectural magazines show a strong interest in armories while studying at Columbia.
Henry Powell Hopkins, architect, was born on February 12, 1891 in Annapolis, Maryland, the son of Harry Jump and Frances Elizabeth (Chattle) Hopkins. On January 12, 1915, Hopkins married Constance Madea Hummel (1895-1952). They had two children, Henry Powell Hopkins, Jr. (1917-) and Donald M. Hopkins, who died in action in the Navy during World War II.
Hopkins first attended Cornell University from 1909 to 1910, then studied at Columbia University until 1914, when he received a bachelor's degree in architecture. From 1914 to 1915, he traveled to England, France, Italy, and Spain, engaging in post-graduate study and sketching. After first being employed in the offices of the firm Howe and Hoyt in Kansas City, Missouri, he became an instructor of architecture at Texas A. and M. College in 1916. In 1917, Hopkins received an honorary M. A. from St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland. Then, in 1919, he worked as an architectural designer in the offices of Albro and Lindeberg in New York, while giving an evening extension course in the history of architecture at Columbia.
He began his architectural practice in Baltimore that same year, with offices at 10 East Mulberry Street; later he had offices at 347 North Charles Street. In 1951, he was made a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, and by then was considered by his colleagues to be one of the outstanding world authorities on Georgian architecture. In 1960, he received an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from Washington College, Chestertown, Maryland. His architectural firm, as of 1962, was Hopkins, Pfeiffer and Associates. Probably some time later that decade, the firm became Henry Powell Hopkins and Associates, comprised of partners Henry Powell Hopkins, John H. Bamberger, Karl E. Boehk, and James S. Turner, Jr. The 18th century houses of his birthplace, Annapolis, inspired Hopkins to devote himself to the study, preservation, restoration and publicizing of these buildings, which in turn, have influenced all his own work in design. In 1949, he was an adviser on Maryland State Code Commission. He was also supervising architect for restoration of the Maryland State House, as well as architect for development of Colonial Annapolis.
His works are numerous and cover various types of structures such as residences, educational facilities, medical facilities, government buildings and those of other sorts of businesses. Major residences Hopkins designed and/or remodeled include the Trippe residence, Talbot County (1922), the Charles Baetjer house, Baltimore (1925), and the Senator Millard Tydings home, "Oakington," Harve de Grace (1926). Hopkins also designed the medical facilities at the Springfield State Hospital in Sykesville, Maryland (1926-1950), as well as the Active Treatment Building at Spring Grove State Hospital (1961). Education facilities he created include Hodson and Reid Halls at Washington College, Chestertown Maryland; the chapel at Hood College, Frederick, Maryland (1955); and the Fine Arts Building, the Horticultural Building and the McKeldin Library (1957) at the University of Maryland at College Park. Hopkins also remodeled the State Office Building in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1939, and restored the city's Old Treasury Building in 1950. Other buildings with which he is credited include the Calvary Methodist Church in Annapolis in 1921; the Circle Theatre in Annapolis; the Cambridge City Hall, in Cambridge, Maryland; and the First National Bank in Aberdeen, Maryland (with associate architect L. H. Fowler).
Hopkins was an active member in many professional and community organizations. In 1921, he became a member of the American Institute of Architects. From 1946 to 1948, he served as vice-president of the Baltimore Chapter, before holding the presidency from 1948 to 1950. He also served as president of the Rotary from 1944 to 1945, founded and presided over the Baltimore Wine and Food Society in 1947, and then served as vice president of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) in 1951. In addition, he served as governor of the Society of Colonial Wars and president of the Baltimore Chapter of the Eastern Shore Society. Hopkins also held membership in the Society of the War of 1812, the Maryland Club and the Chester River Yacht and County Club.
Mr. Hopkins died in 1984 of chronic pneumonia at his home in Baltimore, Maryland.
This collection is organized into three series.
The papers of Henry Powell Hopkins were transferred from the Architecture Library to the Historical Manuscripts and Archives Department by Leslie Abrams, architectural librarian, in April 1990. It is likely that these materials were donated to the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries by Henry Powell Hopkins, Jr. One reprint of a Hopkins' newspaper article was donated in 1990 by Historic Annapolis, via Jonathan Jeffrey.
The photographs were first separated from the rest of the materials and transferred to the photographic collection. All drawings and the secondary materials on armories were flattened and placed in map folders. The correspondence and the newspaper article was placed in acid-free folders. All materials were placed in oversize storage.