Clark S. Hobbs was the Vice President of Goucher College from 1945 to 1951, and the Director of Civic Development for the Baltimore Association of Commerce from 1951 to 1962. Prior to 1945, Hobbs was a writer and editor for several newspapers based in Baltimore, Maryland, and authored a daily humor column entitled “Good Evening” for the Baltimore Evening Sun from 1921 to 1935. The collection consists of clippings, publications, speeches, biographical material, and photographs.
Materials of a sensitive nature, such as those containing personally identifiable information, are restricted for 75 years or the life of the individual and may by screened and removed by special collections staff. Please speak with a staff member if you believe that materials have been unnecessarily removed.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
0.75 Linear Feet
The Clark S. Hobbs papers cover the years 1928-1974, with the bulk of the material dating from 1951 to 1962, the years of Hobbs’ employment with the Baltimore Association of Commerce. A large portion of the material consists of clippings, with publications, speeches, biographical material, and photographs making up the rest.
Clark S. Hobbs was born July 1, 1888 in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1907 he graduated from Baltimore City College. After college, Hobbs became a journalist, writing for several Baltimore newspapers. Most notably, he served as a reporter, columnist, and editor for the Baltimore Evening Sun from 1919 to 1945. For the Sun he wrote a daily humor column entitled “Good Evening,” which was composed mainly of light verse and humorous vignettes. This column ran Monday through Saturday from 1921 to 1935.
Hobbs left the newspaper business in 1945 to take on the newly-created position of Vice President of Goucher College in Towson, Maryland. He had served as a trustee of Goucher since 1933 and would continue to do so until 1959. In 1951 Hobbs left his position at Goucher to become the Director of Civic Development for the Baltimore Association of Commerce, a position which he held until his retirement in 1962.
In addition to his paid duties, Hobbs was active in a number of organizations in a voluntary capacity. These include the United Methodist Church, Goodwill, the USO, and the Citizens’ School Advisory Committee. He was also involved in Baltimore development issues through the Baltimore Redevelopment Commission, the Health and Welfare Council of the Baltimore Area, the Advisory Committee on Sanitation of the Baltimore City Health Department, and other organizations.
Hobbs married Janet Septima Tustin on December 5, 1914. The couple had one daughter, Pauline Tustin Hobbs, who was born November 6, 1915.
The collection is organized as five series.
The Clark S. Hobbs papers were donated by Mr. Hobbs’ wife, Janet Tustin Hobbs, in June of 1974.
The collection originally contained a complete set of clippings of Hobbs’ “Good Evening” column dating from 1921 to 1935. These were in poor condition and were discarded. This material is available on microfilm of the Baltimore Evening Sun in the McKeldin Library Periodicals Room.
All other materials were placed in acid-free folders and acid-free boxes. Metal fasteners were replaced with plasticlips. Photographs were placed in polypropylene sleeves, placed in an acid-free folder, and placed in the photograph file cabinet.