William Henry Duvall, Jr. was born on December 26, 1895 in Prince George's County, Maryland. He entered the Maryland Agricultural College as a student in 1916, but was inducted into the U. S. Army in 1918 and did not graduate with the rest of his class in 1919. This collection includes a hand-written laboratory notebook for a mechanical engineering class dated 1917, and a textbook entitled Introductory Course in Mechanical Drawing, by J. C. Tracy, C.E., published in 1898. The notebook appears to be Duvall's but also lists his lab partners "Brooks" [A. J. Brooks] and "Hand" [Edward W. Hand], who were in his class. The textbook has "W. H. Duvall" and the acronym "M.A.C.", for the Maryland Agricultural College, on the cover.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
William Henry Duvall, Jr. was born on December 26, 1895 in Prince George's County, Maryland. He entered the Maryland Agricultural College as a student in 1916, but was inducted into the U. S. Army in 1918 and did not graduate with the rest of his class in 1919. After the War, he became a tobacco farmer at Waverly and developed several hardier strains of tobacco. He began collecting antique tools in the 1930's and had a collection of over 1000 pieces when he died in 1978. Some of his tool collection was donated to the Smithsonian but the bulk of his collection was bought by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and is on display in the Duvall Tool Museum at Patuxent River Park. He died on August 19, 1978.
Organized as one series.
William Rigoli donated the William Henry Duvall, Jr., Textbook and Engineering Laboratory Notebook to the University of Maryland Libraries in October 2006.
Four yearbooks (1941, 1942, 1943, and 1947), one commencement program (1947), one official publication (June 1941), and one student/faculty directory (1941-2) were received with this collection and accessioned into the University Publications collection.
Items were placed in acid-free folders.