The International Federation for Information and Documentation (FID) was founded in Brussels in 1895 by Paul Otlet and Henri La Fontaine. Its original goal was to promote universal access to recorded knowledge through the creation of an international system of classification. In subsequent years, FID expanded its purpose to include international research in and development of information science and documentation. FID was dissolved in 2002. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, committee files, publications, program and project files, reports, working files, organizing materials, president's files, and financial records.
This collection is unprocessed. This means that materials are in the same state we received them and have not been reviewed for content or condition. The collection may need to be screened prior to use. Please contact us before visiting the Special Collections reading room to view this collection. A preliminary inventory is available under the Inventories/Additional Information section.
Photocopies or digital surrogates may be provided in accordance with Special Collections and University Archives duplication policy.
Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs unless otherwise specified. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure permission to publish materials from the appropriate copyright holder.
Archival materials may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws or other regulations. While we make a good faith effort to identify and remove such materials, some may be missed during our processing. If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
49.50 Linear Feet
The records of the International Federation for Information and Documentation (FID) cover the period from 1957-1982; the bulk of the materials date from 1960-1975. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, committee files, publications, program and project files, reports, working files, organizaing materials, president's files, and financial records pertaining to FID's activities.
This collection was donated to the University of Maryland Libraries by Paul Wasserman in 1993. Additional materials were transferred to the University of Maryland, College Park, from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County in 2007.