The University of Maryland's student newspaper, originally known as The Triangle, was established in 1910. The paper underwent several name changes, including The M.A.C. Weekly, Maryland State Review, and University Review, before being renamed The Diamondback in 1921. This collection consists of over 18,000 photographs taken for the Diamondback newspaper, spanning from the 1960s through 2000s. The photographs document every aspect of campus life at Maryland -- faculty, staff, students, buildings and grounds, academics, athletics, performing arts, special events -- as well as the city of College Park and other topics of local or national interest.
This collection has been digitized and is available online at Diamondback photographs.
This collection is open to the public and must be used in the Special Collections reading room. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
51.00 Linear Feet
UMD Libraries digitized almost all photographs from the Diamondback photograph collection between 2013 and 2021. The only photographs excluded from the project were duplicates and images not taken by the Diamondback. The collection is available online at: Diamondback photographs.