Help us improve our websiteSend feedback
Robert Vambery (1907-1998) was born in Hungary and educated in Germany. He was the artistic director for the Theater an Schiffbauerdamm in Berlin and in this capacity was involved in the first production of Bertolt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera. While in Berlin, Vambery met his future wife, Clara Erdelyi (1909-1993), whom he would marry in 1948. Vambery left Germany in 1933 and came to the United States in 1938, where he taught in the Drama Department at Columbia University, and contributed to The Nation. The collection includes the Vamberys' correspondence, financial documents, and material relating to Robert's literary writing and research, including manuscripts of Robert Vambery's operetta Der Kuhhandel. Other materials relate to Robert Vambery's mother Olga, his grandfather Professor Arminius Vambery, and Lotte Lenya.
This collection is unprocessed. This means that materials are in the same state we received them and have not been reviewed for content or condition. The collection may need to be screened prior to use. Please contact us before visiting the Special Collections reading room to view this collection. A preliminary inventory is available under the Inventories/Additional Information section.
Photocopies or digital surrogates may be provided in accordance with Special Collections and University Archives duplication policy.
Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs unless otherwise specified. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure permission to publish materials from the appropriate copyright holder.
Archival materials may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws or other regulations. While we make a good faith effort to identify and remove such materials, some may be missed during our processing. If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
9.00 Linear Feet
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives