George O. Weber (1912-2000) graduated from the University of Maryland in 1933 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and later served as Director of the Physical Plant at the university from 1946 to 1972. As senior class president, Weber helped organize the Class of 1933 gift -- Maryland's original bronze Testudo statue. During his career, Weber oversaw the construction of Byrd Stadium, Cole Field House, and the University Golf Course. This collection contains material related to the Class of 1933, including photographs of class reunions, newspaper clippings, and planning materials for the 1993 renovations to the Testudo statue. Organizational charts for the Physical Plant department are also included. Preliminary inventories are available for two subsequent accessions to this collection, which deal mostly with Physical Plant projects.
This collection is unprocessed, and may require pre-screening before viewing. Please contact the University Archives for more information.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
0.50 Linear Feet