The University of Maryland's student union building was constructed in 1954 as a center for student activities and the focal point for social and cultural events. Named the Adele H. Stamp Union in 1983, the union was renamed Stamp Student Union in 1988. The Student Union records consist of administrative files and photographs documenting the facilities and operations of the union.
Use and Access to Collection
This collection is open for research.
Duplication and Copyright Information
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
The Student Union records cover the years 1958 to 1959 and 1972. The collection includes a annual report with a listing of organizations using the union, a budget, and a beverage license.
The present Stamp Student Union is the center of student activities and the focal point for social and cultural events. The Union has rooms which are used by various campus and non-campus organizations for meetings, dances and conventions. In addition, the Union contains the University Book Center, the Record Coop, a Recreation Center with 16 bowling lanes, a Craft Center, the Hoff Theater and the Parents Association Gallery. There are also a number of eating establishments in the Union: the Eateries, run by Dining Services; Roy Rogers; the Food Coop; and vending machines. The following University of Maryland offices are also located in the Union: the Adele Stamp Union Advisory Board, the Legal Aid Office, the Office of Campus Activies, the Office of Commuter Affairs, the STAR Center, the Student Government Association offices and the offices of various student groups on campus.
Prior to the opening of the Student Union, there was no central location for student activities. Instead recreation rooms and basements of various buildings throughout campus were used for student functions; however, the Agricultural Publications Annex was referred to as the Student Center around 1920. The current Student Union building was completed in 1954. The first addition was opened in 1963 and the second addition was completed ten years later. On September 24, 1983, the name of the Student Union was officially changed to the Adele H. Stamp Union in honor of Adele H. Stamp, the Dean of Women from 1922 to 1960. In 1988, the Union was renamed the Stamp Student Union, in order to make the name more representative of the building's function.
The director of the Union until he retired in 1974 was William L. Hoff. Mr. Hoff was replaced by David R. Hubler. The present director, Dr. James M. Osteen, became first acting and then permanent director in 1985.
This collection is organized as two series:
Custodial History and Acquisition Information
The Student Union records were transferred to the University of Maryland Libraries in 1972 by Fred DeMarr. DeMarr also donated photographs of the Union in 1985.
There are several unprocessed accessions from the Student Union records, as well as an accession from the Student Union - Director's Office. Preliminary inventories are available for some of the accessions.
The University Publications Collection includes publications of the Student Union, which may be found under the headings "Student Union" and "Stamp Student Union." Materials documenting the current building may also be found in University Publications under the heading "Buildings and Grounds-Student Union."
The collection has been placed into acid-free folders in an acid-free box. The photographs have been transferred to the Photographs collection.