Help us improve our websiteSend feedback
The University Faculty Assembly was the precursor of the College Park Faculty Assembly and consisted of full-time administrative staff and faculty of the University of Maryland at Baltimore and College Park campuses. The assembly's records contain minutes of meetings, correspondence, membership lists, and the plans of operation under which the group functioned.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
0.50 Linear Feet
The University Faculty Assembly records consist of minutes, correspondence, and membership lists generated during the years that it functioned. The collection covers the years 1956 to 1970.
On September 23, 1955, the Board of Regents approved a faculty organization plan that provided for two bodies, the University Faculty Assembly and the University Senate. The University Faculty Assembly was to be the general electorate and the University Senate was to be the representative body, consisting of elected and ex-officio members of the University Faculty Assembly to act for the faculty in legislative and advisory capacities. The powers, duties and privileges of the two bodies were exercised subject to the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents.
Membership in the University Faculty Assembly was composed of all nonclassified, full-time employees engaged in instructional and/or research activities on the Baltimore and College Park campuses of the University of Maryland who held the academic rank of instructor or higher, and other full-time employees resident on either campus who occupied specifically identified administrative positions.
The University Faculty Assembly was, under the original plan, to meet once each semester, but this was amended in 1957 and changed to not less than once each year. The primary purpose of these meetings was for the faculty to receive a report on the actions and activities of the University Senate.
Five responsibilities were assigned to the Faculty Assembly. They were: 1) to adopt a plan of organization of the faculty of the University of Maryland; 2) to initiate action on any matter of concern to the University which action of the Executive Committee of the Senate shall include in the agenda of the next regular meeting of the Senate; 3) to act as a referendum body on questions referred to it by the University Senate; 4) to receive info of general interest from the University President and the University senate, including an annual report from each; and 5) to elect representatives to the University Senate at elections to be held by the colleges and schools.
The University Faculty Assembly held its first meeting on January 25, 1956 and continued to function until the spring of 1970, when the University revised its Plan of Organization, and formed a new body called the College Park Faculty Assembly.
This collection is organized as four series:
The University Faculty Assembly records were initially transferred to the University of Maryland College Park Libraries in 1972, with additional materials transferred in 1986 by the College Park Campus Senate.
Four series were identified in the University Faculty Assembly record. The records were arranged based upon the original order in which they were received. All materials were refoldered into acid-free folders and boxed into acid-free containers. Last, the guide was written.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives