Help us improve our websiteSend feedback
Established in 1934 as part of the Department of Psychology, the Counseling Center became a separate administrative unit in 1955, with three primary functions: provision of counseling services, development of testing programs, and research. Records include correspondence, reports on studies and experiments, manuals, and narratives of the center's history and purpose documenting the administration and special programs of the center. Administrative materials concern such topics as employment, enrollment, orientation, and scholastic tests and averages. Records from the reading, spelling, and study programs document aims, operation, and experimental results.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
4.00 Linear Feet
The Counseling Center records span the years 1951 to 1972; the bulk of the materials cover the mid 1960s. They include manuals, reports, correspondence and studies, which relate to the administration of the Counseling Center and its programs.
The Counseling Center was established as part of the Department of Psychology in 1938. It was officially separated and placed under the University's central services in 1955. The Center has three primary functions: provision of counseling services, testing programs, and research. The center also publishes its own research reports, which have annotated bibliographies. Headed by Dr. Thomas Magoon from 1955 until 1988, the center is now under the guidance of Dr. Vivian S. Boyd.
This collection is organized as two series:
The records of the Counseling Center were transferred to the University of Maryland College Park Libraries in 1972.
Two series were created from the records of the Counseling Center. Reports bound by staples and metal clasps were removed from the original binding. All materials were placed in acid-free folders and boxes. All paper clips were replaced by plastic clips.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives