The Adelphi Citizens Association was formed in 1944 as an umbrella organization for neighborhood councils in suburban Prince George's County. The collection reflects the participation of the Association's members and officers in regional planning and governmental activities which had direct bearing on their neighborhoods. Topics include zoning, mass transportation, highway construction, and municipal services. The collection also includes the records of one member neighborhood council, the Knollwood Citizens Council, from 1960 to 1961.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
1.75 Linear Feet
The archives of the Adelphi Citizens Association span the years 1960 through 1976. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence between the Association presidents and county and state offices; zoning notices; maps and reports; notes related to zoning disputes; and neighborhood services. Topics covered include zoning; mass transportation issues; highway construction; commuter rail service; and municipal services. Among the correspondents are Meyer Emanuel; Francis B. Francois; William W. Gullet; Royal Hart; Lawrence J. Hogan; Harry Hughes; Ann R. Hull; Hal Kassoff; Winfield Kelly; and Gladys Noon Spellman. Organizations included are the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission; the Prince George's County Council; and the Maryland Department of Transportation. Within the collection are the papers of one of the component neighborhood councils, the Knollwood Citizens Council, which date from November 1960 through August 1961.
Some Association members participated in the Steering Committee for the Western Prince George's Transportation Alternatives Study. The bulk of the items from this committee include minutes of meetings, memorandums, correspondence, and publications.
The Adelphi Citizens Association was formed in 1944 as an umbrella organization for the neighborhood citizens' councils of this suburban Prince George's County area. Its interests covered such matters as zoning ordinances, mass transit including commuter rail service, community services, and the location and construction of highways, especially I-95, through the Adelphi area. Around 1951, the Association began publishing a newsletter, The Adelphi Grist. In 1972, the Maryland Department of Transportation organized the Steering Committee for the Western Prince George's Transportation Alternatives Study to assess transportation options in the area. The committee members were elected officials, agency representatives and private citizens, including Kathleen Manglitz, then President of the Adelphi Citizens Association. Officers and members of the Adelphi Citizens Association participated in many of the regional planning and governmental activities, which bore directly on their neighborhood, and this participation is reflected in the collection.
As of 1983, the Association was not listed in the Directory of Organizations in Prince George's County. The Adelphi Grist is no longer published.
The collection has been organized into two series:
The president of the Adelphi Citizens Association, Margaret Howard, donated the archives to the University of Maryland Libraries in August 1976.
Transferred to the State of Maryland and Historical Collections collecting area, September 2004:
The collection was initially processed in June 1977. It was reprocessed in September 2004 and the guide rewritten at that time. At that time, several publications also located in the Marylandia and Rare Books Department were discarded, and some additional materials were transferred to that department.