Robert Lamar Green was professor of agricultural engineering at the University of Maryland from 1958 until his retirement in 1976, serving as head of the department until 1972. He was appointed coordinator of the Water Resources Center on campus in 1965 and was acting director of the Agricultural Experiment Station from 1973 until 1975. The collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, notes and memoranda, and conference programs relating to Dr. Green's professional and academic careers. Subjects include the Committee to Study Shore Erosion; the Maryland State Water Resources Commission; the Governor's Advisory Commission on Resources Development and Conservation; and the Water Resources Study Committee.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
4.00 Linear Feet
The Robert Lamar Green papers include materials dating from 1959 to 1976. The collection contains correspondence, reports, publications, minutes of meetings, notes, and memoranda documenting Dr. Green's professional and academic careers. The bulk of the materials in the collection concern his activities as a member of the Committee to Study Shore Erosion; the Maryland State Water Resources Commission; the Governor's Advisory Commission on Resources Development and Conservation; and the Water Resources Study Committee. Also included in the collection are correspondence, programs, notes, and papers relating to conferences attended by or of interest to Dr. Green and materials pertinent to his activities on the University of Maryland campus, including the Peace Corps and the Center for Environmental and Estuarine Studies.
Robert Lamar Green was born on November 15, 1914, in Moultrie, Georgia. He earned a B. S. in agricultural engineering at the University of Georgia in 1934 and an M. S. at Iowa State College in 1939. Green then spent two years on the faculty at Louisiana State University and four years active army service in the Philippines during World War II. Following the war, he enrolled at Michigan State University, earning a Ph. D. in 1953. From 1951 to 1953, Green was a member of the United States Special Technical and Economic Mission to Indonesia, where he studied Indonesian agricultural engineering applications and problems. During this period, he served in the U. S. Army Reserves, eventually rising to the rank of colonel in 1963. Dr. Green returned to Louisiana State University as an assistant professor of agricultural engineering in 1953. Between 1954 and 1958, he was superintendent of the S. E. Tidewater Experiment Station at Fleming, Georgia. Dr. Green then joined the University of Maryland at College Park faculty as professor and chair of the Department of Agricultural Engineering, a position he held until 1972. In response to heightened interest in water conservation in Maryland, the University of Maryland organized a Water Resources Research Center in 1965 and Dr. Green was appointed coordinator of the program. From 1973 to 1975, Dr. Green also served as acting director of the Agricultural Experiment Station. During his tenure at the University of Maryland, Dr. Green served on numerous committees and commissions, including the Governor's Special Committee to Study Shore Erosion, the State of Maryland Water Resources Commission, and Maryland's War Sciences Advisory Board. He was a member of Sigma Xi, Phi Kappa Phi, the American Society of Engineering Education, and the Soil Conservation Society of America. His scholarly interests included drainage and irrigation, crop processing, farm structures, agricultural waste management, and water resources management. He retired from the University of Maryland in 1976. Dr. Green died on October 8, 1993.
The collection has been arranged into three series.
Documentation found in the collection indicates that Dr. Green donated the collection was given to the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries circa 1976.
Publications of the University of Maryland were transferred to the University Publications collection, State of Maryland publications were transferred to the Marylandia and Rare Books Department, and federal government publications were transferred to the Government Documents Department.
Processing othe Robert Lamar Green papers began in March 1997. Items not directly related to Dr. Green's activities and not unique to the collection were removed and discarded. Discarded materials included drafts of legislation concerning environmental issues, U. S. Department of Health publications, and various publications and files concerning water-related issues in other states. Publications of the University of Maryland were transferred to the University Publications collection, State of Maryland publications were transferred to the Marylandia and Rare Books Department, and federal government publications were transferred to the Government Documents Department. A map was removed from Series I: Boards, Commissions, and Committees and placed in oversize storage. Staples and metal paper clips were removed from the collection and replaced with inert plastic clips. All materials were placed in acid-free folders and boxes. Lastly, the guide was completed.