The College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA) began its existence as a committee of the Music Educators National Conference (MENC). The Committee on College and University Music was so dominated by band directors in the mid-1930s that it soon became known as the Committee on College and University Bands. In the fall of 1938 that committee, under the leadership of William Revelli, met independently in Chicago. The group met again in December 1941 and formed the University and College Band Conductors Conference. The name of the organization was changed to the College Band Directors National Association in 1947. The archives contain administrative records, correspondence and information bulletins, membership listings, financial records, committee reports, surveys, questionnaires, publications, articles, conference programs and proceedings, photographs, and oral histories related to the CBDNA's mission of the teaching, performance, study and cultivation of music, with particular focus on the wind band milieu. More details about the organization of this collection can be found here.
The collection is open for research use. Materials from this collection must be used in the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library's Irving and Margery Morgan Lowens Special Collections Room during SCPA’s operating hours. Please contact the curator for an appointment or if you have questions related to digital access of the materials.
Copyright was not transferred to the University of Maryland with the gift of any copyrighted materials. All rights remain with the creators and rights holders. The University of Maryland Libraries is granted permission for the use in scholarly research by the Libraries’ patrons under fair use in Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act.
To inquire about duplication of materials for research or for publication, please contact SCPA’s curator.
17.25 Linear Feet
The College Band Directors National Association records cover the period from 1939 to 2011; the bulk of the materials date from 1951 to 1986. The records consist of personal papers, correspondence, official organizational documents, published writings, minutes, proceedings, and programs. The materials within the collection relate to the CBDNA’s officers, committees and their activities as administrators; its work in music education and its relation to the MENC; research into band performance and directing; surveys of college band directors; and national and divisional conference materials.
The College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA) began as a committee within the Music Educators National Conference (MENC), called the Committee on College and University Music. By the mid-1930s, the band directors' presence within the committee was so strong that it became known as the Committee on College and University Bands. In 1938, the committee first met separately from the MENC and in 1941 created the University and College Band Conductors Conference. The organization changed its name to the current College Band Directors National Association in 1947.
The organization's activities emphasize the teaching, performance, study, and cultivation of music, especially within the wind band medium. Its members are devoted to the College Band and its service to its institutions and the art form.
This collection is organized into eight record groups.
The CBDNA records started in 1989 and receive periodic accruals.
Part of the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library