Help us improve our websiteSend feedback
Group of six handwritten business letters to and from James Thompson of Pennsylvania from correspondents in Baltimore and Havre de Grace. One of the letters, written to James Thompson by Magrew and Virdin, gives details of the damage to the Tide Water Canal and of the accidental drowning of its superintendent William Boyd.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
The papers of James Thompson consist of five business letters and one document, dated 1808 to 1841, which relate to the trade of flour, plaster, and wheat. The correspondence includes discussion of the condition of the goods, prices, and commercial transportation via the Tidewater Canal. Correspondents include a Mr. Albers of Baltimore, Samuel Thompson, and Tiffany, Fite & Co. in Baltimore.
James Thompson was born on February 2, 1782, in Thompsontown, Pennsylvania. He was the son of William Thompson, who settled and laid out Thompsontown, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, and Jane (Mitchell) Thompson. Thompson moved to New Mexico, Pennsylvania, in 1810 after his father completed building a stone gristmill there. He married Martha Allen on April 2, 1810. They had three sons, Charles A. (1811-1852), Allen A. (1814-1844), and Jerome (b. 1817). Thompson opened a store in New Mexico, Pennsylvania, in 1814. His brother Samuel joined him in this merchandising endeavor until about 1827. In 1821, Thompson became the first postmaster of New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and held that position until his death. His son Charles succeeded him. James Thompson died on December 14, 1847.
The collection consists of one series:
The University of Maryland Libraries purchased the papers of James Thompson from Charles Apfelbm in 1995.
The letters were placed in and acid-free folder and stored in an acid-free box.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives