The M Club is an organization of varsity athletics letterwinners at the University of Maryland. The men's organization was founded in April 1923, and women were invited to join in May 1926, making Maryland the fourth oldest academic letter-winning group in the country. The M Club helps former athletes remain connected to Maryland after their eligibility ends, through annual banquets and social events, fundraising, and outreach. The club is also responsible for founding the University of Maryland Athletics Hall of Fame in the Comcast Center.
The records of the M Club consist of administrative files, such as membership lists, financial information, board meeting minutes, letters to members, M Club newsletters, newspaper clippings, scholarship or memorial fund donations, and paperwork related to events and raffles. The files also contain profiles of student-athletes eligible to join the organization in the 1990s. Photographs include M Club founders and administrators, letterwinners and All-Americans, as well as images documenting events like banquets, reunions, and the Rodman, Cronin, and Shotgun golf tournaments. Plaques in the collection consist of the M Club Founders Award, the John Wiliam Guckeyson Memorial Award, and duplicates of many Athletics Hall of Fame placards.
Preliminary inventories for this collection are available and can be found in the "Additional Description" section of this finding aid.
Use and Access to Collection
Materials of a sensitive nature, such as those containing personally identifiable information, are restricted for 75 years or the life of the individual and may by screened and removed by special collections staff. Please speak with a staff member if you believe that materials have been unnecessarily removed.