Biographical / Historical
Westinghouse Broadcasting Company was the broadcasting division of Westinghouse Electric Corporation, which owned several TV and radio stations in the U.S. They began their own radio news bureau, based in Washington, D.C., in 1957. The company, renamed Group W in 1963, became known for its commitment to news and public affairs. This included successful all-news radio stations in three major markets. According to the Encyclopedia of Radio , "Although not first with the format, Group W was the first to make it a lasting success in major markets."
Despite being among the leading radio stations in their cities, the three all-news stations were only marginally profitable. The Washington staff of 20 correspondents – comparable in size to the bureaus of the major networks – became too costly to maintain. In late 1975, Group W dismissed seven correspondents from its Washington bureau and began negotiating with outside services for news coverage. Those seven reporters had been assigned full‐time to cover the Senate, the House of Representatives, the Judiciary, the State Department, the Pentagon and other institutions of government. Sid Davis, who managed the bureau, continued to cover the White House.
The Washington news bureau closed in the 1980s and by the late 1990s, a series of mergers and acquisitions resulted in the complete disappearance of Westinghouse Broadcasting/Group W into other broadcast operations.