Help us improve our websiteSend feedback
The Weems Family papers consist mostly of letters between members of the Weems family, most notably John C. Weems, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1826 to 1829. Weems was originally elected to the House of Representatives to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Joseph Kent but was reelected for the following session. He was born in Waterloo, Calvert County, Maryland, in 1778; attended St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland; and died in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, at his plantation in 1862.
This collection is open to the public and must be used in the Special Collections reading room. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Photocopies or digital surrogates may be provided in accordance with Special Collections and University Archives duplication policy.
Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs unless otherwise specified. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure permission to publish materials from the appropriate copyright holder.
Archival materials may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws or other regulations. While we make a good faith effort to identify and remove such materials, some may be missed during our processing. If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
17 Items (1 half-size (3") Hollinger box containing 17 folders and a loose inventory at the front of the box. )
John C. Weems served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1826 to 1829. This collection consists mostly of correspondence to and from members of the Weems family in the early nineteenth century, but it also includes some photographs, receipts, and other documents.
The Weems family papers were donated to the Libraries by Virginia Brown Martin, and the donation itself was facilitated by her niece, Alexi McKay.
Materials were originally housed in plastic sleeves. They were removed from their sleeves and placed in acid-free file folders, retaining their original order. The only item not rehoused in a folder is the inventory that came with the donation, a single piece of paper that is now loose at the front of the box for researchers to reference when using the materials.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives