Help us improve our websiteSend feedback
These records consists of the administrative files of the College of Business and Public Administration. Important subjects addressed are the projection of class enrollment; graduate statistics; the history of the College; dedication of new buildings; faculty organizations; ten-year projections for the college; and departmental projections. In addition, activities of the Committee on Style of the Maryland Constitutional Convention Commission (1965-1968), marketing research criteria, and urban and minority studies are documented.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
5.50 Linear Feet
The College of Business and Public Administration records cover the period from 1954 to 1973. Document types represented in the collection include memoranda, minutes, surveys, reports, statistics, correspondence, ten-year projections, and some newspaper clippings. Subjects represented in the collection are: the projection of class enrollment, graduate statistics, history of the College, dedication of new buildings, faculty organization, ten-year projections for the college, and departmental projections. In addition, activities of the Committee on Style of the Maryland Constitutional Convention Commission (1965-1968), marketing research criteria, and urban and minority studies are also documented.
The College of Business and Public Administration of the University of Maryland at College Park was first established as the School of Commerce in 1921. Leslie W. Baker, a certified public accountant, proposed opening the school at an alumni dinner in Baltimore during the school year 1920-21 in honor of President Woods, when he found that the University of Maryland did not offer accounting and business courses. Stimulated by Maynard A. Clemens, a director at the Baltimore Y.M. C. A. and later director of the school, and supported by President Woods, Baker's idea came to fruition on September 28, 1921. The new school had a vigorous start with a total of 394 students enrolled in the first year and an additional 42 registered in the summer school of 1922. Growth continued through the 1920s, stimulated by the rapid expansion of business following World War I. Standards needed to be established, a broad curricula of courses designed, and a sound organization formed to meet the needs of the developing American society. In the spring of 1923, the school expanded to become the College of Commerce and Business Administration. This reorientation of emphasis is evident in the college's mission statement, published in the 1924-25 catalog:
"The chief aim of the College of Commerce and Business Administration was to produce thinkers rather than routine workers, executives rather than subordinates. The studies combined the highly specialized and technical, such as accounting, mathematics, statistics, insurance, law and economics with the liberal, such as English, history, foreign languates, psychology, sociology and government."These ambitious goals were to be implemented by a college faculty which numbered 46 during that academic year.
The records have been organized as one series.
The records of the College of Business and Public Administration were transferred to the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries in the 1970s. An additional grouping of records was transferred by the College of Business and Management in 1985. Materials were also integrated into this collection from records transferred by the Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences in 1986.
All duplicates have been discarded. All paper clips have been removed and replaced by plastic clips. Also, rubber bands and rusty staples have been removed. The materials have been put into acid-free folders and boxes. Photographs have been removed from individual files and transferred to the photographic collection.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives