The Women's League, formerly the Women's Student Government Association, was formed in 1935 to promote leadership development and to encourage scholarship, self-reliance, and high standards of conduct among female students of the University of Maryland. Although mainly concerned with the formulation, administration, and interpretation of the rules of social conduct for women, the Women's League also played an active role in student government. The Women's League records consist of two minute books, dated 1934-1940 and 1940-1941, and printed rules from academic year 1940-1941.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
0.50 Linear Feet
The Women's League records consist of two minute books dated 1939-1940 and 1940-1941 as well as printed rules from the academic year 1940-41. The minutes document the attendance of members and topics discussed at the bi-weekly meetings. Subjects include: the planning of the organization's social events, formulation and revision of the League's rules, establishment and execution of punishments for infractions against the rules, and some charitable activities of the members of the League.
The Women's League, formerly called the Women's Student Government Association, was formed in 1935 at the University of Maryland as a self-governing body of women students. Its purposes were to promote the development of leadership and to encourage good scholarship, self-responsibility, and higher standards of conduct among the co-eds. The League consisted of three divisions; the Executive Council, Legislative Council and Judicial Board. Every woman enrolled at the University was automatically a member of the Women's League. The women students then elected a president, vice president, secretary, and various representatives. The representatives to the organization came from sororities, dormitories, off?campus housing, and from each class. Although mainly concerned with the formulation, administration, and interpretation of the rules of social conduct for women, the Women's League had an active role in the Student Government Association and the League's president was a voting member on the Executive Council of the S.G.A. The Women's League was replaced in the academic year 1952-53 by the organization known as the Associated Women Students.
The records have been divided into the following series:
The Women's League records were transferred to the University of Maryland College Park Libraries in the 1970s.
The materials have been placed in acid free folders and in an acid free box. The guide was then revised.