Founded in 1914 to administer federal and state funding for programs to improve community life, the Cooperative Extension Service concentrated its activities in eight areas: agricultural profitability; natural resources; diet, nutrition and health; human capital development; family economic stability; agricultural technology for urban audiences; profitability of marine industries; and enhanced community vitality. Publications, contracts, reports, photographs, and correspondence document the programs and activities of the Cooperative Extension Service in Maryland, particularly in the areas of agricultural research, education, and outreach.
This collection is open for research.
Photocopies of original materials may be provided for a fee and at the discretion of the curator. Please see our Duplication of Materials policy for more information. Queries regarding publication rights and copyright status of materials within this collection should be directed to the appropriate curator.
4.50 Linear Feet
The Cooperative Extension Service (CES) records consist of correspondence, various public service publications, reports, contracts, and other materials produced by or relating to the CES. These materials document the programs and functions of the CES particularly in the areas of agricultural research, education, and outreach.
The Cooperative Extension Service (CES) of the University of Maryland was founded in 1914 as a result of the Smith-Lever Act, which provided for federal support of programs designed for the improvement of community life. The Cooperative Extension Service primarily concentrates its activities in eight areas:
1) agricultural profitability
2) natural resources
3) diet, nutrition and health
4) human capital development
5) family economic stability
6) agricultural technology for urban audiences
7) profitability of marine industries
8) enhancing community vitality
The federal support provided was made available to academic institutions created under either the 1862 or 1890 Land Grants. Funding is also provided by all twenty-three counties and Baltimore City, and in return, the CES places representatives in each of these regions to help actuate their programs, while the researchers and specialists can remain on the campuses of the University of Maryland to develop the programs. In order to achieve their goals, the CES cooperates extensively with the University of Maryland's College Park and Eastern Shore campuses. The University often provides the buildings and materials needed for workshops and conferences, and supports research of efficient systems of agriculture, health, and economics. The service is also actively involved in community awareness programs.
In order to "extend the classroom to all parts of the state," the CES conducts farm or home visits, workshops, training conferences and demonstrations, and produces publications and radio and television programs. It provides the "off-campus, non-credit, out-of-classroom" education to many of the state's farmers, marine workers, and rural and urban homemakers need, regardless of their race, color, creed, sex, marital status, personal appearance, age, national origin, political affiliation, or handicap.
This collection is organized as four series:
The records of the Cooperative Extension Service were transferred to the University of Maryland Libraries in the 1970s.
The records were placed into acid-neutral folders and the metal paper clips were replaced with plastic ones over protective paper. The photographs were transferred to the photographic collection.