Martin Tschudy (or Tschudi) (1740-1828) was born in Switzerland and came to the United States of America as a young man. In the early nineteenth century, Tschudy owned and operated a gristmill on land known as “Sly’s Venture” along Gwynns Falls, Baltimore County. The collection materials also record that Tschudy enslaved three people. This collection contains legal documents pertaining to the disposition of the estate of Martin Tschudy and his wife, Mary Magdalene Myers.
Ralph J. Tyser was a 1940 graduate of the University of Maryland and a major university supporter. Tyser Tower, built in 1991, was named for him. His portrait hangs in Van Munching Hall in recognition of his support for the building's auditorium. This collection contains video tapes of the press box dedication ceremony in September 1991, as well as certificates and plaques awarded to Tyser.