The Sigma Alpha Epsilon collection consists of a cover letter and a letter of reminiscence from alumnus Edwin Giblin, a former member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. The letters include an account of athletics and recruiting practices at the Maryland Agricultural College and the University of Maryland. Giblin pays particular attention to the role of Dr. Harry Clifton ("Curley") Byrd, first a coach and then university president, in the growth of the university.
Sigma Delta Chi is the University of Maryland chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. The Sigma Delta Chi records include meeting announcements and agendas, reports, membership directories, chapter newsletters, procedures manuals, flyers, and photographs. The collection also contains the original petition written by the University of Maryland Men's Press Club in 1955 which led to the establishment of Sigma Delta Chi on campus.
Rhea Gaynelle Sikes (1922-2019) was an educator and television producer, professionally active from 1957 through 1980. Sikes specialized in instructional television programming for adults and children during her tenure at the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), including programs for local stations WQED and WNET (PBS). The collection includes photographs of Rhea Sikes, internal reports and publications on educational programming, and her independent consulting work between 1978 and 1980.
The Silver Burdett Company collection contains materials dating between 1890 and 1978 with the bulk of the materials dating between 1920 and 1930. The collection consists of company publications, price lists, catalogs, various published, educational volumes, and performance programs relating to the company's publications.
This collection contains newsletters and assorted clippings documenting the activities of the Silver Spring Nursery School, Inc., a cooperative nursery school in Silver Spring, Maryland. The Silver Spring Nursery School was started in 1941 by a group of mothers active in the Montgomery County League of Women Voters who expanded their children's play group into a nursery school.