Puyot Family, circa 1940s-1990s and undated
This series depicts the life of the Puyot family through photographs. Hilariona "Leona" (1918-2001) married Lucelo Puyot (1903-1959) and had a daughter, Mina (1942-1988) (1). Lucelo died in 1959, and in 1980 Leona married Januario Sevilla (1910-1999) who had arrived in the U.S. in 1929 and served in the Navy for 31 years. Januario also worked as a cab driver and a barber (2). Mina Puyot (1942-1988) is in a majority of the photographs. Leona Puyot (1917-2001) was the cousin of Ana Puyot Alcoy (1911-2007), who married Leon Alcoy (1918-2002) in the Philippines and then journeyed to the United States with him in 1947 (3). Leon was born in Batac, Ilocos Norte in the Philippines and came to San Francisco in 1929. He moved to Washington, D.C., in 1931 and worked as a cook for former U.S. Senator Raymond Wells of Missouri and drove a taxi. After their marriage, in 1952, Ana and Leon bought a house on Sheridan Street NE in an all-white neighborhood (4).
This series shows family and social life, including many group photos of gatherings of friends and family and Mina Puyot crowned as May Queen in 1957. The series also includes photographs from weddings and church events. The following individuals are pictured in these photographs: Jose Puyot, Mrs. Jose Puyot, Mrs. Aqui, Mina Puyot, Lucelo Puyot, Nancy, Leona Puyot, and others. This series is arranged in its original order.
- (1) "Mina Diane Puyot Flinkingshelt," FindaGrave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&Grid=106449082 . [Last Accessed: June 21, 2016]; Lucelo A Puyot, BillionGraves https://billiongraves.com/grave/person/5149728#/.
- (2) "Lucelo A Puyot," BillionGraves https://billiongraves.com/grave/Lucelo-A-Puyot/5149728. [Last Accessed: June 21, 2016]; Januario Samortin Sevilla," Arlington National Cemetery Website http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jsevilla.htm. [Last Accessed: June 20, 2016]; Cacas and Lott, Filipinos in Washington, D.C., 50.
- (3) Rita M. Cacas and Juanita Tamayo Lott, Filipinos in Washington, D.C. (Charleston: Arcadia Publishing, 2009), 79; "Leon Alcoy (1918-2002)," undated, Biographies and Photos of Participants, Circa 1990s-2000s, Series 1, Box 1, Folder 1, Rita M. Cacas Filipino American Community Archives collection, Special Collection, University of Maryland Libraries.
- (4) Series 1.1, Box 1, Folder 3, Item 9 - Ana Alcoy (1911-2007) and Leon Alcoy (1905-2002) [Poster] [Box 3, folder 1], 1993.
- circa 1940s-1990s and undated
Use and Access to Collection
This collection is open to the public and must be used in the Special Collections reading room. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives
University of Maryland Libraries
4130 Campus Drive
College Park Maryland 20742